Wednesday, October 22, 2008

First week of teaching

I've already posted briefly about my assigned teaching schedule. Now for the gory details!

Tuesdays and Thursdays
A Seniors class which is ages 11-14 from 5.40pm to 7.25pm
This class has 12 students - 6 boys and 6 girls. They are graded as pre-intermediate, but they are in the second half of the coursebook. I will be teaching them this course through to mid-January next year. These students still have plenty of energy at this time of night, though they are not so keen on concentrating! Some real characters in this class.

An Elite class which is ages 15-18 from 7.40pm to 9.40pm
this class has 8 students - 4 boys and 4 girls. They are graded as intermediate and are at the end of the course, sitting their end of course test next week. Students of this age are already studying for long hours at school and at their teachers' houses. By the time they get to us in the evenings they are often tired and lethargic. Getting them energised and participating in the lesson is a challenge.

Saturdays and Sundays
3 Juniors classes which is ages 6/7-10
The classes I have are at different levels.

Level 1B start at 7.45am to 9.45am
The students in this class range a great deal in age and in size! I have a little roly poly student in this class called Hellen. On Sunday we started with a warmer called Bonk! The kids were in a circle around me and had to quickly think of the names of animals. If they were too slow or if they repeated the last student's word they got bonked on the head with a soft toy and had to sit down. Hellen won the first round and almost one the second one!

Level 2B start at 10.00am to 12.00noon
This is one of my favourite classes. They love singing and luckily the course book we are using has quite a few songs. When I did introductions on the first day I used a little toy koala holding a boomerang and a little toy kangaroo. The koala almost went home in Harry's pocket - he fell in love with it. This is the smallest of my Juniors classes - 12 students, only 3 girls who are very quiet but starting to come out of their shells.

Level 4A start at 2.30pm to 4.30pm
Another class with a big range in age and size. Katy is my little student in this class and Stella is the biggest girl. Then there are sisters (maybe twins?) Mary and Maria, dressed alike but very different in personality. And John who, alone out of all the students in all classes, stands up whenever he is asked to respond to something. This is something the kids have to do in school, and it's obviously drilled in to him.

On Monday I (foolishly) took 2 fill-in classes for someone who had taken a few days off. So today (Wednesday) has been a long-looked for DAY OFF!

1 comment:

czheng said...

HI, Richard
Finally I found time to read your life in Vietnam! I am especially interested in your seemingly endless classes and obviously you are enjoying teaching. I am also very sympathetic with little Harry who could not take his beloved koala home! I hope your driver does not charge you too much. and have you found your accommodation yet? you did not mention it (or maybe I missed it). Please keep posting your writing. This makes my life more intereting.

at home front, since last week Federal politics has been dominated by Kevin Rudd's unlimited guarantee for bank deposit in this global financial crisis. Now the debate is about RBA's preferred lower cap on deposit and Malcolm Turnbull is lashing out on Rudd and Swan about the possible impact of "unlimited guarantee" on the Australian financial market. So it goes on.

Life here is hectic as usual. I am just finalising the third PRC report. and I won't tell you anything about other millions of things that we have to do. However, Christmas is just round the corner if we manage to survive this period. and so we should! Until next time. Take care! Charmaine on 24/10/2008