Sunday, October 26, 2008

Deluge

well, it is the wet season ....
Last Friday morning 24 October we had a very heavy storm and then continued rain. When I woke up the rain had eased but a drip - not much of one - had started from the ceiling over my bed. Just an occasional drip. Then another one started. I put a glass under the drip and found there wasn't much water.

Got up and ate some breakfast. Sat at the desk looking out the windows and started thinking about the lessons I needed to plan for the weekend. Heard a sound of running water and turned around to find that there were waterfalls down the walls, including one over the wardrobe and into a drawer!

Went and reported it to the hotel management. Hmm .. is anything going to happen? Hung around, came back to the room, and eventually the 'attendant' (this is his title - he tightened up the power socket for me the other day so that the plug converter would stay put!) came and looked and started drying out the puddles. Hmm ... is anything more going to happen?

Went back to the reception and suggested that I move out. Could I stay put while the attendant fixes the leak? We don't think we have another room for you. Hmm ... it's still raining and if fixing means going outside and putting sealant on some holes then I know he can't fix it today. Attendant eventually gets a ladder and looks in the ceiling. Gets off the ladder, goes and gets a screwdriver and pokes a hole in the ceiling over the bed! Holds a bucket under the hole! Water is pouring out!!

Went back to the reception and said that I am moving into another room. Ah - room 304 is available, same price. Ask for the key and go and look to make sure I'm not jumping from frying pan to fire, or from bucket to lake!! Agree to take the room and move. This requires not inconsiderable packing first.

So much for a day dedicated to planning my 6 lessons for the weekend!

No comments: