Monday, May 25, 2009

A new home

As you might know my old home at 34 Vo Thi Sau Street was sold. Initially I was told I would need to move out by the time rent was next due. Afterwards I was invited to stay on by the new owners but by then I had already arranged to move to Steve's house (he has moved on to Hanoi). I was happy about this because it is cheaper and a little bit more independent. I have a key to the gate and no need to bother a security guard each time I come home.

My new home is at 116 Phan Chu Trinh Street, still in Ward 2 of Vung Tau city. It is the last house in a block of 5 townhouses that reach up the hillside below the lighthouse road, so it is very secluded and has good views over the neighbourhood and across to the Jesus statue.

The house is on 2 levels. Downstairs is the entry, living room, kitchen, and a small guest room and bathroom (cold water shower only). The massive 10kg washing machine is also here under the stairs. Upstairs are the bedroom, bathroom (this one with hot water) and the balcony which goes around two sides of the house.

The house is a lot darker than Vo Thi Sau street due mainly to the dark tiles you can see in the living room picture, but it is larger - probably too big really. The other interesting feature of the house is the preponderance of naked women! Here is an example from the downstairs bathroom. The upstairs bathroom has a similar tile picture, and there is a plaster relief work on the bedroom wall.

Anyway, I am very comfortable here. I have a cleaner (Xe) who comes once a week to sweep, mop and dust, and who washes the bedding and does any ironing I have waiting. She is lovely, and has worked for the past two tenants as well. She also looks after the whole complex with outside cleaning and pumping water to the storage unit on the roof each day.

No comments: